"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 8 17:40:48 UTC 2014

Am 08.12.2014 um 18:33 schrieb DJ Delorie:
>> Next time, don't be 6 month late if you're going to be flippant.
>
> I, for one, am happy to welcome our new more-reasonable-less-paranoid
> overlords.  I've been disabling my firewall for ages, as my machines
> are behind an enterprise firewall anyway

that don't apply for a notebook, especially not if the enduser is
connected to a public WLAN and if you think that you are proctected
because a firewall in front of the WAN security is not your bussiness

https://www.google.at/search?q=security+attackers+from+the+inside

* one infected machine inside the LAN
* vulnerable port open
* you are done

and no, that is not theory, that happens every single day again and
again and hits people feeling safe because a firewall in front of the
internet until they learn it the hard way

"less-paranoid" == no business in security

before Edward Snowden made informations public a lot of people which
told that things are happening also where called "paranoid"