"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Mon Dec 8 21:38:57 UTC 2014

> On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 07:41 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just happened to look at the firewalld default settings, and I was not
>> amused when I noticed this:
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/firewalld.git/tree/FedoraWorkstation.xml
>>>   <port protocol="udp" port="1025-65535"/>
>>>   <port protocol="tcp" port="1025-65535"/>
>> This "firewall" is a joke! ALL higher ports are wide open!
>>
>> There had been a prior discussion on this list where they wanted to disable
>> the firewall entirely. We told them that that's a horrible idea (which it
>> is, of course!). But the result is that they implemented this "solution"
>> which is almost entirely as bad, and which additionally gives users a false
>> sense of security, because a "firewall" is "enabled" (for a very twisted
>> definition of "enabled").
>>
>> IMHO, this is a major security issue that MUST be fixed. It also shows what
>> horribly bad an idea per-Product configuration is.
>>
>> Yet another reason why you should NOT use "--product=workstation" to upgrade
>> your F20 to F21 (ALWAYS use "--product=nonproduct"). Installing the
>> "Workstation Product", or upgrading to it, will leave you with a totally
>> insecure system.
>

> sudo firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=FedoraServer
> That will limit it to SSH, DHCPv6 and cockpit
>
> Or use default zone "Public", which swaps cockpit out and adds mDNS
>
> Or if you're "Reindl Harald"-level paranoid (no offense intended, Harald
> but you're the most paranoid sysadmin I know, even more than me):
>
> sudo firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=block

It always amaze me why people that says it is easy to change de default,
were not happy with:

sudo firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=OpenZone

instead of forcing the less secure one to eveyone.

Adding to that, this decision bring me memories to the awful old case
when someone decided that the install anything from the repositories was
permitted to any user on the system by default, that was reverted with
an update because of the outrage