"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 21:49:59 UTC 2014

> > sudo firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=FedoraServer
> > That will limit it to SSH, DHCPv6 and cockpit
> >
> > Or use default zone "Public", which swaps cockpit out and adds mDNS
> >
> > Or if you're "Reindl Harald"-level paranoid (no offense intended, Harald
> > but you're the most paranoid sysadmin I know, even more than me):
> >
> > sudo firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=block
>
> It always amaze me why people that says it is easy to change de default,
> were not happy with:
>
> sudo firewall-cmd --set-default-zone=OpenZone
>
> instead of forcing the less secure one to eveyone.

I also thought that the whole points of having Zones etc, was so that
we could pick a different zone per network connection,

so if I'm in the office or at home I can say use this zone, if I'm
at a coffee shop I can pick a different one etc.

Or was this consider too much UI for the normal user? Surely
OSX has something to copy from, since they seem to define what
a normal user expects.

Dave.