"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 9 06:27:20 UTC 2014

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Also, while I think it's been unclear in this thread, the main reason
> that the firewall GUI was taken out was because the Workstation guys
> want to design a more user-understandable one and include that directly
> (if I am remembering that conversation correctly). The current one is
> not terribly easy to understand (though it's certainly an improvement
> over s-c-firewall).

Huh? Especially the last part really makes me go "huh?". System-config-
firewall is dead simple to use: I want service S to work, I check the box
for service S if it's one of the common ones, or pick service S from the
full /etc/services list if it's an uncommon one, or enter its port manually
if it's some nonstandard service listening on an arbitrary port. I don't see
how the UI can be any simpler.

firewall-config is only complicated because firewalld is overly complex.

        Kevin Kofler