"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 11:00:05 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> As one who maintains a remix for journalists, I expect the default for
> a workstation should be that you mus* explicitly know what you are
> doing to open a port, and enable or start a service - the default
> release should have a minimum attack surface by design.

You could disable networking in that case...

> As a result of
> this discussion I plan to modify my remix so that is the case - ports
> open by default in Fedora 21 Workstation will be closed in OSJourno.

How do you plan on supporting your users that will want to share media,
or services from their desktops/laptops?

> I'm on the fence over the ports below 1024, but I suspect those should
> be closed as well.

Most ports below 1024 are already closed in Fedora Workstation, so there
wouldn't be any changes there, which makes me think you didn't get the
information about which ports are opened first-hand. You might want to
read the original thread, and the accompanying spreadsheet:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.desktop/9883/

Cheers