"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Dec 9 11:35:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 10:49 -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> If Reindl, Kevin or Tomas want to disagree with that, I'll give you a
> little
> exercise:
> Having just installed and updated my Fedora 20, I want to share a
> video in my
> home directory using UPnP/DLNA to my TV, using rygel for example.
> Document the
> steps necessary to achieve that.

So unless anyone opposed to the firewall configuration change actually
attempts this exercise, and comes up with a working alternative solution
to the problem, I'm not sure there's much point in continuing the
discussion.

We are concerned with practical security -- keeping the user safe by
anticipating the user's typical response to situations. But if you think
the firewall configuration GUI in F20 existed for any purpose other than
to completely disable the firewall, please take a reality check.