"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 13:47:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 01:11:33PM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> > have a proposal for a new spin focused on privacy and security — the
> > Netizen Spin. (If you're interested, I think that could use additional
> > contributors.)
> I was under the impression spins were to be phased out. I could be
> wrong, the discussion was about the time of the product proposal.

That's wrong; the clear outcome of that discussion was that we want to
keep them, and provide more flexiblity and opportunity for spins
maintainers as well.

> The thing is, while everyone in this discussion is probably capable of
> changing such defaults, it reflects a shift in priorities that leaves
> me wondering whether there'll be more such things that change and
> current users need to keep an eye on. If workstation doesn't want to

So, again, I think that the idea that this reflects a drastic shift in
priorities isn't accurate, and with disagreement on that axiom, the
rest of the argument is just people talking past each other. Everyone
wants Fedora to succeed. Everyone wants free software to win. Everyone
wants better privacy and security for our users. It's a basic fact that
Workstation WG chose this as the best path to get there -- whether or
not you agree, let's work from a basic assumption of trust that we're
all on the same side here.

Everyone knows that there are improvements to be made, but it's _not_
an easy problem. Contributions are welcome towards making that better
for F22 and beyond. (Use cases. Design mockups. Code....)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>