"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:50:01 UTC 2014

On 9 December 2014 at 13:39, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> So your challenge is to find an alternative default that
> supports it.

I'd go even further. I don't think the people writing the vast number
of lengthy posts on this thread actually want to *use* workstation,
with the possible exception of Bastien who's having to defend
something he shouldn't have to. Reindl probably should just use the
server spin, or be prepared to actually configure his box to do what
he wants to be 100% paranoid and unusable for anything less than a
technical user. If you don't like what workstation has decided to do,
use another target, or a different distro entirely (like CentOS). If
you want to change how workstation is designed, join the working group
and please actually talk to people there. I think it's misguided to
think that hurling insults here is going to achieve change.

I think a lot of people also need to remember that workstation isn't
built for them, and that's okay. If you know how to configure iptables
then that's fine, but I'm happy to admit I don't, and normally just
switch off the firewall entirely so I can get stuff done. F21 will be
more secure for me, not less.

Richard.