"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Tue Dec 9 14:06:35 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 09:20 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 17:08 -0430, Robert Marcano wrote:
>> Adding to that, this decision bring me memories to the awful old case
>> when someone decided that the install anything from the repositories
>> was
>> permitted to any user on the system by default, that was reverted
>> with
>> an update because of the outrage
>
> That IS still permitted in both Fedora 20 and Fedora 21. No
> authentication is required to install via PackageKit (e.g. with GNOME
> Software for apps, or pkcon for packages).

No this is only for users that at install time or later are added as
Administrators, that old bug (I saw on another email that was on Fedora
12) was for everyone. the excuse, "we have no implemented that user
distinction, so for now it will be open to all", or something like that.
Sounds to me like the kind of defense to this change: "No one has
implemented something better, so we will open ports"

I think that when we fall for the disable security measures because we
have no better UI for now, We will never have a better UI because no one
will build one for something that is already open