"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Dec 9 17:36:41 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 10:27 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM, William B <william at firstyear.id.au> wrote:
>
>> The true crux of this issue is the over complexity that firewalld has brought to fedora, and the fact that a quality UI for managing it does not exist yet.
>>
>> OSX solves this issue by having an "on or off" button, and a list of applications that are allowed access. When the application first requests access, a prompt is given to add the application to the allow list. Why are we so against such a UI?
>

> OS X's firewall is disabled by default. Where's the outcry?

A quick search reveals that some people don't like that:

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/06/03/why-do-new-macbooks-ship-with-the-firewall-off-by-default/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/should-you-use-a-firewall-with-os-x-mountain-lion.html

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=20420972

Not that I think this has any bearing on the current discussion.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com