"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 9 18:49:49 UTC 2014

Am 09.12.2014 um 19:45 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
>> Richard Hughes wrote:
>>> So do I! I'm a developer, which spin do I use so that the firewall
>>> doesn't get in my way? We can't develop a *product* based around what
>>> you specifically want, not me, nor anyone else on this list.
>>
>> If you're a developer, surely you know what a port is and can make a few
>> clicks in firewall-config or system-config-firewall to open it! A
>> "developer" who can't even figure that out is a HORRIBLE developer!
>
> Still waiting for that answer about the rygel use case. You'll see how
> much of a HORRIBLE setup this can be...

wrong question

if there is a software which changes it's listening port randomly than
fix that broken by design software instead ruin the firewall

there is *no single* technical reason to chose a random port

frankly FTP is also that broken by design but at least it has ALG /
helpers to make it useable, design a service past 2010 the same way is
broken by design

so you can fix that crap or design something like "nf_nat_ftp" or
"nf_conntrack_ftp" for it