"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 9 19:21:37 UTC 2014

Am 09.12.2014 um 20:16 schrieb Robert Marcano:

>>> Still waiting for that answer about the rygel use case. You'll see how
>>> much of a HORRIBLE setup this can be...
>>
>> wrong question
>>
>> if there is a software which changes it's listening port randomly than
>> fix that broken by design software instead ruin the firewall
>>
>> there is *no single* technical reason to chose a random port
>
> I don't like the new default but I say that there are reasons for that.
> Example: two simultaneous users on differente sessions want to share
> music. The solution, define a port range for the default rygel
> installation, and the firewall UI should know the ranges Rygel uses

fine, than we are on a defined range of saying around 10 ports
bad enough but a different story to 1024-65535 blindly

and the point: even that range has to be confiremd by the user

not everybody is using that software, i don't use it because i have
"mediathomb" on a fixed port - so somebody should tell me *a single*
reason why a random software is the excuse to poke holes in *my* default
security