Poll: How users use DNF

Jon Kent jon.kent at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:58:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

We use yum wrapped up in a python script that runs from a master server and
uses ssh to log into server/servers and run the requested command (the
script doesn't support all, just most -install, downgrade, upgrade etc)
against either a single rpm or upgrade all rpms.  It uses the exit status
from yum to catch errors, log them and either move to the next server or
exit (which is an option to the script).

For the more dangerous yum actions (such as downgrade, remove etc) the
script ask for verification by generating a random number and requesting
you input it (basic yes/no leads to auto typing).

Ideally I'd like this to be a part of dnf or yum suite so that I don't have
to run write a script to perform this.  As we look after 100s of servers,
having the ability to do this has saved large amounts of time for us.
Since I wrote the original (a bash script originally) 10 years ago this is
used globally internally and our SAs expect this to be there and can't
imagine managing our server farms without.  Therefore I strong believe this
is a typical user case that is currently not covered.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Regards,
Jon