Poll: How users use DNF

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Wed Dec 10 00:19:37 UTC 2014

I have yet to port my scripts (https://bitbucket.org/znmeb/osjourno)
from 'yum' to 'dnf'. I'm not sure I am going to unless the live ISO
creation tools also switch. But I have tried both 'dnf' and 'yum'
manually during the F21 alpha and beta test phases. I think there were
cases where 'yum' said there were updates and 'dnf' didn't. And it
seemed like 'dnf' was slower.

My main use case is 'yum update' - I rarely use the Software tool on
the desktop.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Radek Holy <rholy at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dear users of YUM and DNF,
>
> I'm writing to you regarding a request for your feedback. I would be very grateful if you could send me a brief description of how you use YUM or DNF currently or how would you like to use it. I am particularly interested in the occurrences of "dnf/yum install" calls in your scripts. What does these scripts do and what do they expect when they call the "install" command in different situations?
>
> Please share with me the use cases, not the description of the "install" command. Think twice before you share something because I believe it's not as easy as it might seem. As an example I think it might be something like:
>
> - "I call YUM install, because I want to get given packages into my system and I don't care whether it requires an upgrade or downgrade or what." or
> - "I want to get them there but it should protect me against dangerous operations like downgrades" or
> - "I often make typos, so I expect that the program knows what I mean" or
> - "it would be nice if it would literally perform the installation; if any of the packages cannot be installed because of any reason, it should fail".
>
> Not something like: "that's obvious that the install command should never downgrade packages".
>
> Please focus on *use cases*. The *real* (non-hypothetical) use cases. Not on the command's name as it might also result in a new command (while preserving the well-known install command together with an appropriate behaviour).
>
> I don't mind if you send it offlist (or to another list). I think there is no need to comment on anyone's use case. Every case is valid. Just not every case can be supported.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
> --
> Radek HolĂ˝
> Associate Software Engineer
> Software Management Team
> Red Hat Czech
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for
Digital Journalists https://osjourno.com

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.