"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 10 04:46:32 UTC 2014

Pete Travis wrote:
> Lets say I do have an understanding of network basics, just for the sake
> of argument.  I share my application with you.  The application is
> intended to listen on the network, you know this and want the application
> for that purpose.  You run the application, it tries to listen to a
> network port.

But as you wrote the application, you know which one, so you just tell me
the port number, and I open it up in a few clicks in the firewall. (Plus, I
will also have to set up port forwarding for that port in my cable modem's
integrated NAT router anyway, so an insecure local firewall won't make the
application work without you telling me the port anyway.) I don't feel
inconvenienced at all, it's obvious to me. If it were not, you could tell
me, or just document what is needed in your documentation.

        Kevin Kofler