"Workstation" Product defaults to wide-open firewall

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 11:47:50 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 10 December 2014 at 00:43, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

Given the amount of time I've thrown into this dead-end thread, I think
I'm already pretty awesome.

> I have skimmed the links you listed. Like I said, time poor.

You'll accuse me of being rude again, but if you can't read 3 pages of text
because of the lack of time, maybe spending that time throwing factually
and technically incorrect suggestions on the list shouldn't top of your
TODO list.

> I see no
> explanation of why rygel needs a random port or why it cannot supply
> that information to firewalld. The same goes for any others that have
> random ports.

Because that's the mechanism the kernel offers for applications when selecting a
port isn't important, the high port isn't defined by the IANA, and the specs
(DLNA/UPnP in this case) don't force particular ports to be opened.

Even if we chose static ports for those (or rather port ranges, because if you
have multiple users running, you'd need multiple ports), leaving only those ports
opened wouldn't stop other random applications from choosing those ports to
do something nefarious. You're just limiting the availability of ports without
increasing security.