Other download options

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:52:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Maros Zatko <mzatko at redhat.com> wrote:
> Yes, there is netinstall in the Server variant, I suppose it's not the same as
> Workstation one and (as a user) I'm getting pretty confused now :)

I'm getting kind of confused myself.  I want to grab an image to throw
onto an old machine for my kids to use.  I just want a desktop with a
web browser and a mail client.  Workstation isn't suitable; they
aren't developers (yet).  Server and Cloud are definitely right out.
I don't want a Live CD; I want to actually install.  (In the past,
installing from a Live CD left one with different defaults than an
install from DVD, so I've learned to avoid the Live CD.  Perhaps that
reflex is now wrong.)  I guess I could go with one of the spins, but I
don't see a GNOME spin anywhere.  Is there really no DVD image for a
generic GNOME desktop install?  Maybe I should make Kevin happy and
get the KDE spin. :-)

Actually, the KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Mate spins all seem likely to fit
my use case, but I'm very surprised that there isn't a GNOME
equivalent.  Or is there?  If there is, I can't tell from the
information on getfedora.org.  What are we recommending for people who
want to install a generic "access the Internet" type of environment
for non-techies?  None of the products obviously address that
audience.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/