Other download options

Mike Pinkerton pselists at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 10 17:47:20 UTC 2014

On 10 Dec 2014, at 11:52, Jerry James wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Maros Zatko <mzatko at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> Yes, there is netinstall in the Server variant, I suppose it's not
>> the same as
>> Workstation one and (as a user) I'm getting pretty confused now :)
>
> I'm getting kind of confused myself.  I want to grab an image to throw
> onto an old machine for my kids to use.  I just want a desktop with a
> web browser and a mail client.  Workstation isn't suitable; they
> aren't developers (yet).  Server and Cloud are definitely right out.
> I don't want a Live CD; I want to actually install.  (In the past,
> installing from a Live CD left one with different defaults than an
> install from DVD, so I've learned to avoid the Live CD.  Perhaps that
> reflex is now wrong.)  I guess I could go with one of the spins, but I
> don't see a GNOME spin anywhere.  Is there really no DVD image for a
> generic GNOME desktop install?  Maybe I should make Kevin happy and
> get the KDE spin. :-)
>
> Actually, the KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Mate spins all seem likely to fit
> my use case, but I'm very surprised that there isn't a GNOME
> equivalent.  Or is there?  If there is, I can't tell from the
> information on getfedora.org.  What are we recommending for people who
> want to install a generic "access the Internet" type of environment
> for non-techies?  None of the products obviously address that
> audience.

This issue has been addressed tangentially in the marathon
"Workstation defaults to wide-open firewall" thread.

As best I can tell from Matthew Miller's responses there, Fedora has
abandoned that portion of its previous user base that was using
Fedora as a general, secure by default, Gnome desktop OS.  Those
users are no longer supported by any Fedora product.

I also am trying to figure out how I can use Fedora going forward to
support general desktop requirements for SMB office workers, creative
types and others who have heretofore been using Fedora as a general,
secure by default, Gnome desktop OS.  The only ideas I have come up
with so far are:

•  Install Fedora 20, update it, then fedup to "nonproduct" variant
of Fedora 21; or

•  Use the server net install to install a minimal system as a
"nonproduct" variant of Fedora 21, and then install a long list of
packages needed to convert it into a general desktop OS.

I have not yet tested and don't know how practical either of those
ideas is.

My users are accustomed to Gnome, so I prefer not to change to one of
the alternative desktop environment spins if there is an easy way
forward with Gnome.

--
Mike Pinkerton