CSS on getfedora.org (was: Other download options)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 11 20:37:34 UTC 2014

Reindl Harald composed on 2014-12-11 11:44 (UTC+0100):

> Felix Miata composed:

>> [ re: https://getfedora.org/ ]

>> Reindl Harald composed on 2014-12-11 01:06 (UTC+0100):

>>> Felix Miata composed:

>>> no need to zoom anything and as said my eyes are really not good

>> Your image hasn't presented anything useful, because you offered insufficient
>> context to know what it is that you see when you look at what you captured.
>> All we know is "my eyes are not really good", whatever that means.

> i explained what that means, a cornea implanted from a previously died
> person on both eyes as well as a new lense and finally able to see only
> 60-70% or a normal human on the left and 90% on the right eye

> that means two different pictures composed by the brain to one and so
> you can imagine that typically if i can read things without problems
> they are just fine

So far, you have only explained your visual condition, nothing about what is
presented to your eyes.

>> We have no idea what your screen size is, what your resolution is,
>> or what the distance between eyes and screen is. IOW, the physical
>> size presented to you is utterly absent.

> 1920x1080, 23", 96dpi and the font-size of that page is similar to 98%
> of websites i face and we create

Therein lie multiple problems. A 23" 1920x1080 screen is indeed 95.8 DPI.
Xorg, unless overridden, same as Windows and Mac, presumes a 96 DPI screen.
By default, all popular Linux DEs obey the Xorg configured DPI. In all such
environments, the 13px CSS "size" used for the items in the footer columns
does in fact compute to a physical size of 9.75pt.

Problem 1: For today's Internet, where yesteryear's CRTs are mostly memories,
and laptops and smaller internet access devices abound, selling in far larger
numbers than "desktop" computers, 96DPI is a low density screen. Low density
means objects of any given nominal "size" are rendered large in comparison to
screens of medium or high density. What is adequate in size on a low density
screen morphs into inadequacy as actual screen density increases. Without the
user environment applying any compensation, that 13px/9.75pt text on a 96DPI
screen becomes 13px/7.8pt on a 120DPI screen, 13px/6.5pt on a 144DPI screen,
13px/5.2pt on a 180DPI screen, and so forth. So clearly from a usability
perspective, since it exhibits zero adaptation to the user environment, the
px unit makes a poor choice for sizing web objects that need to be legible.

Problem 2: Just because everybody else does something does not justify
everyone else doing the same. Copying what everybody else does only makes
more of the same, not wisdom. Computers are tools with the capability to do
things automatically, to make things easier. Sizing web content in CSS px
units impedes a computer's ability to do that. Better sizing options exist
and are therefore recommended.[1]

Problem 3: Sizing using px units completely disregards user needs and
preferences. Users' browser defaults are presumptively optimal. Users who
find the as shipped defaults inappropriate are free to adjust them. One word
describing that process is called personalizing. Disregarding what users find
optimal is rude, and for the same reason as problem 2 above, just as unnecessary.

>- you should really ask yourself to consult a doctor and check your eyes

WRT viewing a computer display, there is nothing wrong with my eyes that
prescription lenses don't correct. The problem is with web designs that
override user settings, either by disregarding them entirely (sizing in px),
or assuming them inappropriate (base sizing to other than browser default,
e.g. body {font-size: 80%} or p {font-size: .8rem}). 100% is the
presumptively optimal base size for everyone. It's personalizable precisely
so those who don't like the size it was shipped with can optimize it, thus
allowing the computer to automatically compute, making everything nice size
automatically.

> and that is by far meant insulting (see above paragraph!)

You have me totally lost by that comment.

[1] e.g. http://www.w3.org/2003/07/30-font-size
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140916/C28

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/