Poll: How users use DNF

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Dec 12 02:47:41 UTC 2014

Radek Holy wrote:
> I'm writing to you regarding a request for your feedback. I would be very
> grateful if you could send me a brief description of how you use YUM or
> DNF currently or how would you like to use it.

One thing I do twice a year, whenever I upgrade to a new Fedora release, is
to first run this in graphical mode:
yum --releasever=n+1 --downloadonly distro-sync
and then this in text mode:
yum --releasever=n+1 -C distro-sync

The important feature there is --downloadonly. It is essential to make this
work.

Without --downloadonly, I'd have to run the whole thing in text mode, which:
1. forces me off the desktop environment for the whole download time, and
2. works at all only if the network is accessible in text-mode, which is
   only the case if the credentials are stored systemwide in NM and not in
   KWallet (or gnome-keyring for that matter).

        Kevin Kofler