F22 Self Contained Change: Preupgrade Assistant

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 09:01:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-12, Petr Hracek <phracek at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/2014 05:17 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> Will this handle packages that have been dropped but not obsoleted in
>> the next release?
> Yes definitely. The tool or respectively contents (which are part of
> this tool) can be used for informing user
> that some package has been dropped and how to replace them.
> User should provide a steps how to do that.
>
> E.g. In F22 is dropped package A and in F23 it is going to replaced with
> package B.
> A content informs user in F22 that package does not exist anymore and it
> is going to replaced with package B from F23.

I think the question was about packages without replacement.

E.g. a package provided in F22 is not distributed with F23 anymore but
no F23 package provides or obseletes the F22 package name. (Because there is
simply no functional replacement, e.g. the package was dropped because
of lack of maintanance.)

Such non-upgraded package can cause dependency breakage because it can
require an RPM symbol which is not available in the newer Fedora (e.g.
a soname which has changed).

Actually Fedora lacks any systematic approach to this problem. I'm not
sure whether "yum distro-sync" or fedup removes such packages, but
I know some users complained about it.

-- Petr