AppData Screenshot Requirements

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 21:39:51 UTC 2014

tl;dr: AppStream builder will reject AppData screenshots smaller than 312x175.

If you want things to be pixel-crisp and your application ships only
one screenshot use 752x423. If you've got multiple screenshots use
624x351, or integer multiples thereof. You can still ship random sized
screenshots bigger than 312x175 and we'll pad them out to the right
size and shape, but choosing a 16:9 resolution makes everything look
consistent in the software center. If you think 312x175 is being too
strict, you really need to have a look at this:
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/screenshots/f22/624x351/proofgeneral-4d9bd746838746355151f75f38e3ac4c.png
-- I'm considering making 624x351 the smallest screenshot size allowed
for F22/F23 although this may be too strict at this stage.

Also, if you need to show the desktop background (e.g. for gimp, where
you want to show multiple windows at once) use an alpha channel as the
background. This allows gnome-software to composite in the current
users desktop when we show it before it's installed.

I've emailed most of the maintainers this affects privately, although
you can check your app by looking at this commit to the logs:
https://github.com/hughsie/createrepo_as_logs/commit/42e4c078a8a8bd882d297862e5868372fc8a58b1
-- Thanks.

Richard