AppData Screenshot Requirements

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 08:08:09 UTC 2014

On 13 December 2014 at 01:05, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> I think you should step back and consider this in context.
> *Everything* we do in Fedora, and more generally speaking in open
> source, is a work in progress.

100% agree, I couldn't have said this better myself. The only way for
a standard to remain relevant and useful is to allow it to slowly
evolve.

> There's no way to point out issues
> except by showing examples. Anything else would be too handwavy.

Jerry: I didn't consider this would be insulting, and I'm really sorry
if it came across like that. I certainly wasn't aiming to ridicule
you, just to show an actual example. In this case I showed it's
clearly not a screenshot and just a resized thumbnail. Because another
screenshot is listed in the proofgeneral AppData file
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/screenshots/f22/source/proofgeneral-da9c07acd86cdb0fb302139636d2996f.png
that does look good and fits all the size criteria I didn't email you
directly.

> Anyway, rhughes has put an incredible amount of work into this and is
> doing a lot to coordinate various steps required to make this work.

...in his free time, in this case late on a Friday night. I do get
paid to hack on some of this stuff working at Red Hat, but a lot of
the more dull, time-consuming emailing and upstream bug-opening
happens in my spare time. I'm trying my best to make this work, and
I'm heartened to see the number of AppData-enabled applications is
going up nearly every day, with newly added applications
more-often-than-not having validated AppData files without any nagging
from me.

Richard