is it possible to skip a noarch subpackage on certains archs (arm)

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sat Dec 13 21:32:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:00:00AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a package (a C++ library), which generated doxygen
> > documentation during build. The documentation lands in a noarch -doc
> > subpackage, the rest in the main package or in subpackages, all
> > arch-ed.  The problem is that generating the documentation takes
> > forever (6+ hours) on arm. The arch-ed parts build fairly
> > quickly. Would it be possible to use %ifarch or equivalent to only
> > build the (slow) -doc subpackage on x86_64 or i686 archs? Would arm
> > then get the noarch subpackage from other archs?
>
> You *could*, it's a scripting language. I don't see how the noarch
> package would get migrated to the relevant arm repos.
OK.

> However, six hours to build documentation is a bit.... excessive.
That build seems to have hung... it never finished and I had to kill it.
It now seems to run in ~2h. But the problem might have solved itself
in a different way: I got the test suite to run properly, but it still
fails on arm, so I might have to exclude that arch anyway.

> Would it be saner to make a separate SRPM that builds just the
> documentation, even if it uses the same source tarball? That way,
> minor version updates of the software would not force a rebuild of the
> documentation.
Yeah, but that's additional work for each update... and more chance to make
an error. I actually prefer for the build to be long.

Zbyszek