F21 downloads repository metadata in 3 places!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:29:21 UTC 2014

On 15 December 2014 at 13:09, Hedayat Vatankhah <hedayat.fwd at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. If PK really needs its own *copy* of the cache, that's OK (well, not OK
> but acceptable), but IMHO it should not download it independently too.

But yum/dnf only download the files it needs for the single operation,
and not all the "matching" files, unless you're using "dnf makecache"
or something like that.

> preferably using hardlinks if possible

Yes, hardlinks help for the space-on-disk problem.

> 2. I believe that the use should know, and more importantly be able to
> control WHEN the repo data is being updated. At the very least, he should be
> able to specify if the updates are automatic or not using a very user
> friendly method (probably during/after the installation; or per network
> connection).

At the moment the PK front-ends only download when on wifi or wired.
Do you have an actual use-case for per-network configuration?

> 3. I think the repository data management backend should be separate from
> the frontends (including PK, and dnf cli).

PK isn't a front-end, gnome-packagekit and gnome-software are. PK is
just the mechanism.

Richard.