F21 downloads repository metadata in 3 places!

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Mon Dec 15 18:58:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 18:01 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Robert Marcano wrote:
>> > I don't know why the time to rebuild rpms is important, updates are now
>> > applied at boot time, so rpms can be rebuilt with smaller nice/ionice
>> > before the user reboots (on Workstation product).
>>
>> Offline updates are only a (mis)feature of the GNOME "Workstation" product.
>> The tools shipped by all the other spins (Apper, Yumex) do immediate updates
>> as always.
>
> ...which brings this thread to the end of its useful life.

To attempt to bring the discussion back to a useful state, would it
make sense to have delta repo metadata?  Re-downloading 20-ish MB of
mostly unchanged package and file lists every day seems inefficient to
me.  (We'd hopefully implement that *once* and get dnf and PackageKit
to use the same copy.)

--Andy