F22 System Wide Change: Elasticsearch

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 18:50:05 UTC 2014

On 12/17/2014 06:55 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 09:39:50AM -0500, Aleksandar Kurtakov top-posted:
>> > Not a bundling but creating a compat packages for older version
>   where needed. Nothing stops people from creating them now.
>
> We should strive to simply update all dependencies and packages using
> them to the latest version. Only when this fails we should start discussing
> compat packages.

Bundling is the worst thing possible and in most cases it should be
avoided.  First we shoud try to use default (which usually is latest)
version avaliable in Fedora, creating patch if necessary and sending it
upstream.  If it is impractical to port to latest version then creating
compat package is acceptable as alternative solution.  Current Java
packaging state it very easy (maybe even too easy) to create such compat
packages.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
Java SIG