F21 downloads repository metadata in 3 places!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Dec 17 20:34:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2014 at 20:09, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> [root at localhost cache]# du -sh *
>> 94M dnf
>> 446M PackageKit
>> 4.0K yum
>
> I think you're overstating the amount of metadata for PK for two reasons:

That value is directly from du -sh on /var/cache/PackageKit after the
~30 minute pause following first login, so I don't see how I'm
overstating anything.

> 1. This is for my current system, with a few repos installed:
>
> 67M    /var/cache/PackageKit/hawkey
> 64M    /var/cache/PackageKit/metadata
>
> The first are the SAT databases which are generated automatically on
> first run and not downloaded. 446M is a heck of a lot, so I'd be
> interested to know if that's packages as well included there.

OK, just now, I did another clean install of Fedora 21 Workstation,
reboot, login, went through g-i-s and then walked away. 10 minutes
later, /var/cache/PackageKit/ looks like:

# du -sh *
0 downloads
50M hawkey
211M metadata

25 minutes later:

# du -sh *
0 downloads
50M hawkey
398M metadata

If I go to /var/cache/PackageKit/metadata/updates/packages/ indeed
there's a pile of rpms, so this is package data not just metadata. But
nevertheless this tranche is being silently downloaded by packagekitd
and I have no obvious way to opt out of this behavior, and it begins
fairly soon after first login with out me having launched any
applications, including Software.

--
Chris Murphy