F22 System Wide Change: wxPython 3

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Dec 18 01:03:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 07:22:30PM -0500, Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>
> >>The plan is to make wxPython 3.0
> >>co-installable with wxPython 2.8, similarly to what has been done with the
> >>wxWidgets packages (wxGTK and wxGTK3).
> >What are the issues involved in updating everybody to wxPython 3.0?
>
> It is certainly doable.  Debian did it recently in Jessie, so we can
> probably look there to see which packages needed patching.  The main
> difference is that they are still using the GTK2 implementation.
> Upstream wxPython only recently enabled the GTK3 implementation, so
> I'm a little worried that we may come across some bugs.
>
> Are you thinking that we should just go for it and upgrade everybody?
I really don't know. That's why I was asking.

Making them parallel installable is the kind of work which generates more
work later on. I think it might be worthwhile to put the new version
in a buildroot override and rebuild the dependent packages and see what
falls out. It might be less work to fix the few problematic packages.

Zbyszek