Emacs .desktop (was: AppData Screenshot Requirements)

Peter Oliver lists.fedoraproject.org at mavit.org.uk
Thu Dec 18 20:25:39 UTC 2014

On 18 December 2014 at 15:50, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 18/12/14 15:44, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>
>> I'm a bit confused by this. For emacs the output is:
>>
>> emacs              emacs    OK      OK    OK            OK      Warning
>> OK
>> emacsclient        emacs    OK  Warning   Warning       OK      Warning
>> Failed
>>
>> But emacsclient does not have an appdata file at all. It something wrong
>> with its .desktop file?
>
> Actually why does emacslient even appear as a desktop app? Does it have any
> UI of it's own? I know I have accidentally selected it sometimes when
> searching for emacs in the overview...

Actually, I think it's emacs that shouldn't have a .desktop file of
its own.  If you run emacsclient from its .desktop file, it will open
a file in an existing emacs if one is already running or start one if
not.  It seems to me that this is what most users would want, and
those that don't are probably already starting emacs from the command
line or via a wrapper script or somesuch.

--
Peter Oliver