Why isn't F2FS support in the Kernel?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 16:07:40 UTC 2014

On 12/22/14 8:16 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox at bzb.us> wrote:
>> Yes, I looked at that bug report and the somewhat terse response.  I thought
>> I'd post here first before I went the bugzilla route.
>>
>> Based upon the information I discovered tonight it seems a bit puzzling it
>> isn't included.  Seriously, Ubuntu includes it and we don't?
>> Google is using it for the Nexus 9?  The "experimental" rationale just
>> doesn't hold weight - especially since we are allowing for
>> BTRFS Raid5/6; which is made out to be toxic.  If it's good enough for
>> Google and ahem:  "Ubuntu" - it's beyond ridiculous we don't have it.
>
> So you looked at a bug that is a year and a half old, around the time
> when F2FS was very new and under a lot of work, and assumed that
> nothing could have possibly changed?  Maybe instead of getting angry
> and incredulous, you could actually leave a comment in the bug or open
> a new RFE bug to have it enabled.  If you do, highlighting your
> findings without the snarky and aggressive tone would probably help
> your case.
>
> josh

FWIW, I see that f2fs-tools is in fedora, but it's a bit old, at v1.2.0
while upstream is at 1.4.0.

(http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git)

If you're agitating for movement in the kernel, might want to give the
userspace pkg maintainer ( echevemaster ) a heads up, too.

-Eric