no error handling in Yum any more?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Dec 22 17:28:58 UTC 2014

On 22/12/14 17:20, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 22/12/14 17:07, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 05:59:50 +0100, Felix Miata wrote:
>>> I started a yum upgrade process. When it reached 342/784 (@avahi)
>>> over half
>>> an hour ago, the screen writing from the process simply halted.
>>
>> During F20->F21 upgrade I had to run along something like
>>     while sleep 1;do killall systemctl;done
>> (the real command was longer) as many %post scripts tried to restart
>> their
>> daemon but during the upgrade each systemctl command was timing out
>> with very
>> long delay.
>
> I had that as well - the cause is that systemd asserts and goes into
> panic mode which means it no longer responds to systemctl calls. It
> didn't happen to all my machines but it did to a couple of them.

The evidence to look for to see if you are hitting this problem is
messages in the journal like this:

Dec 05 09:08:21 gosford.compton.nu systemd[1]: Assertion 'path' failed
at ../src/shared/cgroup-util.c:913, function cg_is_empty_recursive().
Aborting.
Dec 05 09:08:21 gosford.compton.nu systemd[1]: Caught <ABRT>, dumped
core as pid 3376.

along with a core.XXXX file in the root directory.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/