Why isn't F2FS support in the Kernel?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 22 17:29:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox at bzb.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Really?  It's very disappointing that a single module that isn't used
>> for anything in Fedora itself is disabled?  I understand the desire to
>> want to tinker, but to be very disappointed in this is... well it's
>> odd.
>

> You're really deflecting quite a bit in your above response, but this one
> takes the cake.  Really?

You neglected to reply to my other points about scaling, maintenance,
and bug handling.  Who's deflecting now?

> Does this look familiar to you:
>
> "...The Fedora Project is sponsored by Redhat which invests in our
> infrastructure and resources
> to encourage collaboration and incubate innovative new technologies."
>
> It isn't about a single module... you're a smart guy... you know better.

Ah.  I see.  To you this is just a single instance of some wider
problem.  Sure, OK.  I'm not comfortable flipping on random
filesystems as soon as they show up.  Similarly, I don't think it's
helpful to enable random drivers from staging just because they exist.
People in general have an expectation that if something is enabled in
the kernel, it works.  When it doesn't, they get just as disappointed
and frustrated.  Again, bleeding edge at the cost of wrecking people's
machines or setting unrealistic expectations is not OK with me.

The part I like in the thing you quoted is "...encourage
collaboration...".  We don't get much of that on the kernel side of
things in Fedora.  We get requests to turn on everything, which
doesn't scale without that collaboration and participation aspect.
The one bright spot where we do is the secondary arch teams.  They
handle everything about the entire architecture themselves.  I would
love to have more people request something to be enabled along with an
offer to help support that thing.

> In any event, the whole point is now moot.  F2FS is out there and being
> actively used.  Other distributions
> include it.  Fedora should include it also.

In this specific instance, maybe.  In general, not really.

josh