Provides question

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Dec 23 04:46:39 UTC 2014

On 12/23/2014 05:30 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 12/22/2014 09:21 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Cobbler ships a tftp server written in python that integrates with (and
>> requires) cobbler.  Cobbler requires a tftp server, and it would be nice
>> to be able to install either the cobbler-tftpd or tftp-server package to
>> satisfy that dependency.  Could I have cobbler-tftp provide tftp-server,
>> or would that cause too many problems?  What if both were to provide
>> "server(tftp)" or some such?

I would not expect this to cause problems, because we already apply a
similar approach for other servers, e.g. "server(smtp)"

# repoquery --whatprovides 'server(smtp)'
sendmail-0:8.14.9-5.fc21.x86_64
exim-0:4.84-4.fc21.x86_64
postfix-2:2.11.3-1.fc21.x86_64
opensmtpd-0:5.4.2p1-3.fc21.x86_64

> I'm trying to split off the tftpd sub-package now, but would like
> upgrades to pull in the tftpd sub-package automatically if possible.

Another question lurking underneath to be taken into account in this
context would be: "What exactly do these packages require?"

I mean, there are packages which actually do not require a
"server(...)", but expect to find a specific binary
(e.g. /usr/bin/mailx).
Occasionally, these aspects get mixed up ;)

Ralf