Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Dec 27 23:17:31 UTC 2014

Am 27.12.2014 um 23:26 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 26 December 2014 at 20:32, Alexander Ploumistos
> <alex.ploumistos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> why not offer packages from every DE and metapackages for other environments?
>
> I don't see how this addresses the multiple "Calculator" application
> problem I clearly outlined in my original blog post. Offering choices
> and configuration options in applications is not zero-cost, and people
> more qualified and eloquent than me have written why.

having choices and options is the reason why people switch to Linux,
otherwise they can stay at OSX or Windows - protect people from having
choices is a bad attitude and frankly if that would have been
widespreaded around 2006 i would never became a Linux and network
professional

>> If gnome-software aims to be novice-user-friendly, at least the latter should definitely be an option.
>
> I don't see the logic there, sorry. Novice users don't understand the
> fine nuances of the design choices of different desktop environments.

if you hide anything you can they will stay novice users forever