Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Alexander Ploumistos alex.ploumistos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 19:10:00 UTC 2014

> I think that's past the line of what we can reasonably expect a novice
> user to handle. Proprietary apps are always going to be tough to install on
> Fedora, since they're not welcome in our software center. And novices who
> install proprietary graphics drivers are quite likely to wind up with a
> completely broken system. This is a hard problem.

Even the lazy developer will at least expect to be able to watch flash
videos and listen to mp3s. So they will have to deal with repositories and
packages. Many people I know agree with FSF's core values, but they feel
left out when they can't use what other people on other platforms are using.

> Your closing story, which I won't quote, was helpful. I'd argue it makes a
> good case for shielding the user from normal packages with GNOME Software,
> but I don't have a good answer for what happens when you really need to
> install a package that's not a graphical application (when did your users
> need to do this?), nor for proprietary or patent-encumbered software (which
> we probably need to accept will always be difficult).

The most recent example I can think of, is the youtube-dl script.

When it comes to building from source, more often than not, it involves
programs like this:
http://www.cryst.chem.uu.nl/platon/pl002000.html

> but you have no clue what mpc is
>
> A client for MPD, the Music Player Daemon. mpc connects to a MPD running
> on a machine via a network.
>
> http://www.musicpd.org/
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=591118

Hmm, that's interesting. Although I was thinking of musepack audio files.