Surprise in texlive-base %preinstall script

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 20:55:47 UTC 2014

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 13:03, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
> Who else thinks that this part of texlive-base's %preinstall is not really such a hot idea:
>
> for i in `find /home/*/.texlive* -type d -prune`; do
> find $i -name *.fmt -type f | xargs rm -f > /dev/null 2>&1
> done

I'm... really impressed by how vile that scripting is. It breaks if homedirs are auto-mounted or NFS mounted with rootsquash, if home directories are mounted at a different base directory, it does nothing for /root/.texlive/, it can screw up environments with NFS mounted directories on multiple operating systems, etc., etc., etc.

A little shell script of "upgrade-fmt-files' would be vastly safer for individuals as needed.