Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Dec 29 00:19:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 09:42:07PM +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 28/12/14 18:05, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> >On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Possibly. But isn't there quite a difference between the "novice user"
> >>and the Fedora Workstation target user i. e., developers?
> >
> >Not necessarily. I wrote:
> >
> >"Yes, Workstation targets developers, but not exclusively, and also
> >developers who use fancy IDEs and who don't work with the terminal. I
> >just don't want this thread to degenerate into a discussion of this
> >lousy definition [of normal/novice users], since it's not important.
> >What's important is that we want Workstation to be excellent for users
> >who never touch the terminal."
>

> Hm... developers which never touches the terminal?! Seems like a really
> narrow group (?)

it's not as narrow as you may think, developers may use the terminal
selectively for some tasks and the GUI exclusively for others. That subset
isn't the same for all developers, so you end up having to provide all
features working well in the GUI.

e.g. I hardly ever use nautilus to handle fils, but I also hardly ever use
the terminal for any configuration, connecting to networks, firewall stuff,
etc. etc. I hardly ever use it to start non-terminal apps except for
eog/evince.

so even though I use the terminal heavily, I still would count myself in the
above group and I definitely need a good GUI around my terminals. And,
I want my desktop to be simple and get out of the way of what I actually
want to do.

Cheers,
   Peter