Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Dec 29 15:29:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>
wrote:
> I.e. a Linux distro, which is not supporting terminals/editors as part
> of a "developer oriented distro" has not done its homework.

We should support both terminal-oriented and IDE-oriented workflows.
Right now, we have a terminal that works fine, but our IDE story is
very poor.

> I'd even go
> one step further: Developing under Red Hat's default desktop (Gnome3)
> is
> impossible without an IDE.

Have you ever tried to develop an app for GNOME? The truth is the
complete opposite. Until about three days ago, my development
environment was gedit and gnome-terminal, not because I prefer
developing with a terminal, but because we have no non-terrible IDEs. I
recently started using gnome-builder, which is an IDE in the very early
stages of development. It's currently a gedit replacement -- I still
need gnome-terminal open to do anything -- but it looks very promising.

Ever tried to make a GUI program with Glade, our "IDE" for creating
user interfaces? It's too hard for me. I gave up and nowadays write XML
UI files by hand with a text editor. I'm pretty sure almost all GNOME
developers do the same.