Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 15:48:01 UTC 2014

On 29/12/14 16:18, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 28 December 2014 at 15:48, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
>> wouldn't it raise questions about the Gnome Software application's role in
>> the workstation product?
>
> I don't think it does, no. I'm a Red Hat employee, a Fedora user, but
> also a GNOME developer. I'm not terribly keen pushing the tenet of
> "GNOME Software doesn't show MATE applications when running in GNOME"
> to "GNOME Software isn't suitable for Fedora Workstation".

Fair enough. But to me, adding "GNOME Software (GS) also cannot install
compilers, interpreters and other CLI tools" creates a more problematic
situation.

And even the MATE applications issue is actually *very* different when
evaluated in a developer context. A developer is both more likely to be
  interested in using multiple desktops (testing) and also probably more
capable of handling the complexity required.

Is GS intended to be a one size fits all solution for both "novice
users" and the workstation target developer user?  If so, I cannot
really see how this could be handled reasonably unless there is explicit
support for the different roles e. g., some kind of modes or so.

And if walking this path, the Workstation default mode would be the one
corresponding to a developer, right?

Cheers!

--alec