Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 02:31:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
>>

>> Minor correction, CentOS is unbranded RHEL and Fedora is not RHEL
>> upstream (so far as I am aware anyway).
>

> That is incorrect.  Fedora is upstream for RHEL and therefore upstream for
> CentOS as well albeit, one step removed.
>
> Rahul

CentOS is also "branded" in that it has trademarks, copyrights, and
other legal existence. The relation is fascinating, especially because
at least some of the CentOS developers are now Red Hat employees and
Red Hat is publishing their free software at https://git.centos.org/.
It's much like that when Red Hat used to publish its full binary
distributions up until Red Hat 9. Their efforts there, and especially
in funding and supporting Fedora development as a testbed for RHEL
projects, has been an extremely effective business model for free
software development.