Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Dec 30 12:07:58 UTC 2014

On 12/29/2014 04:48 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:

> Fair enough. But to me, adding "GNOME Software (GS) also cannot install
> compilers, interpreters and other CLI tools" creates a more problematic
> situation.

To me, "Fedora Workstation" w/ Gnome is an incarnation of GnomeOS - An
OS aimed at single-user, single-seat, kiosk-style of use-cases, aiming
at competing with Android/WinRT, MetroUI and iOS.

> Is GS intended to be a one size fits all solution for both "novice
> users" and the workstation target developer user?
I don't know if it's aimed at being a "one size fits all" solution. To
me, it's a matter of fact, that in general, there can never ever be such
a thing as a "one-size fits all" solution anywhere.

> And if walking this path, the Workstation default mode would be the one
> corresponding to a developer, right?
Define "Workstation". I don't know which audience the people, who
implemented it, were aiming at - It definitely wasn't my use-case scenario.

Ralf