Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Dec 30 12:26:18 UTC 2014

Am 30.12.2014 um 13:07 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> Is GS intended to be a one size fits all solution for both "novice
>> users" and the workstation target developer user?
> I don't know if it's aimed at being a "one size fits all" solution. To
> me, it's a matter of fact, that in general, there can never ever be such
> a thing as a "one-size fits all" solution anywhere.

it can and it is known as KDE because KDE is highly configureable but
you do not need to configure much to start - but you have the
capabilities to adopt the UI to your personal workflow

also GNOME tries to make a interface for a desktop as well as for
tablets - KDE developers, especially in context Plasma5 realized that
this is only a compromise for all usecases

the idea is that the UI knows if it runs on a tablet or you connected a
docking station with a 27" screen and appears differently

http://linux-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/07/16/1355218/kde-releases-plasma-5

Plasma 5.0 improves support for high-DPI displays and ships a converged
shell, able to switch between user experiences for different target devices