Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 20:34:29 UTC 2014

On 30/12/14 20:57, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> On 29/12/14 04:33 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>>
>> This certainly works, but is it really a reasonable trade-off  in a
>> developer context where things like compilers and interpreters are
>> part of the very core? What role does Gnome Software play here? How
>> fruitful is the idea to hide packages in this context?

> Compiler and  interpreters i.e.Glade having GUI and implements app-data
> (supposedly mandatory starting on Fedora 22)  will be displayed on Gnome
> Software.

Glade is neither a compiler nor an interpreter, it's an IDE.

> Gnome Software is to abstract the package concept to only
> focus on applications accessible to desktop.

Agreed. And I can see some usecases where this makes a lot of sense.

But the question then becomes if this is the proper thing to do for the
Workstation target user which is a developer. As such, she will in many
cases want to install things like gcc, different python stacks using
collections, text processing tools and so on. None of which with a GUI.
She will also sometimes be interested in multiple desktops for testing
etc., causing the "MATE apps not visible" problem.

Bottom line: isn't there is a mismatch between Gnome Software (GUI
applications only) and the idea of a developer using both CLI and GUI
tools?  And if so, how should it be handled?

Cheers!

--alec