Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:30:17 UTC 2014

On 30/12/14 22:58, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> On 30/12/14 12:34 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>> On 30/12/14 20:57, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>>> On 29/12/14 04:33 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:

>>> Gnome Software is to abstract the package concept to only
>>> focus on applications accessible to desktop.
>>
>> Agreed. And I can see some usecases where this makes a lot of sense.
>>
>> But the question then becomes if this is the proper thing to do for
>> the Workstation target user which is a developer.

[cut]

> What about DevAssistant that comes with Fedora Workstation? Have you
> tried it?

No, it doesn't seem to solve any problem for me (?). That said, while
such solutions certainly might be useful a generic installer application
represents some kind of foundation I think all developers will need,
sooner or later. Different devs, different ideas, different needs - not
all can be shrink-wrapped.

> MATE apps not visible means they needed app-data included on their
> .desktop files hence the pleas from Richard Hughes.
> The case of multiple desktop installation reaches  advanced use
> territory meaning advanced tool like yumex.

Still the same question: is there a mismatch between the  GUI only Gnome
Software (GS) and the Workstation target user presumably using both CLI
and GUI tools + perhaps multiple desktops?

If you describe this as "advanced use", should we read this as if the
Workstation developer usecase is too advanced for GS?

And if the target usecase is too advanced for GS, what is then the role
for GS in the Workstation product?

Cheers!

--alec