Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 1 22:17:37 UTC 2014

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> 1) Are Spins useful as they currently exist?

Yes. Just see how many people do, indeed, use them.

> 2) Should Spins be eliminated entirely in favor of Fedora Remixes[1].

No! HELL NO! Reducing Fedora to those 3 uninteresting "Products" would be a
huge step backwards.

> 3) Should Spins be considered Products-in-development? In other words,
> should we only approve Spins that are targeted or destined for
> "promotion" to a fully-supported Fedora Product?

Maybe. It all depends on what the expectations are for something to become a
Product. IMHO, it should have no more expectations than we currently have
for Spins (i.e. ALL Spins should automatically become Products), in which
case the question becomes moot entirely. But seeing the kind of bureaucratic
processes some people are expecting Products to go through, as long as those
expectations remain, I think the answer to your question 3 can only be: No!

> 3b) If we treat Spins as Products-in-development, what do we do with
> those Spins that don't fit that criteria?

See above, there shouldn't be any. Otherwise, the answer to the previous
question must be "no". In both cases, this question becomes moot.

        Kevin Kofler