Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Robert Mayr robyduck at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 2 22:57:24 UTC 2014

2014-02-02 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> We can have a KDE Product, and an Xfce Product, and an LXDE Product,
>> but...at that point haven't we just re-invented spins? It doesn't seem
>> to quite work with the Product conception.
>
> Why not?
>
> I see only 2 acceptable outcomes, either KDE becomes a Product or the whole
> concept of "Products" gets dropped.
>
> The KDE spin has always been a release-blocking deliverable, why should we
> get degraded to a second-class citizen?
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Why do you think only about KDE? This topic shouldn't turn into a DE war IMHO.
The product for Desktop users should be just one, Workstation. And
KDE, as Xfce or LXDE are part of this product and should live under
the wing of the Workstation. That's not a degration in my eyes, just
another array, and it's not constructive to have for every DE
environment a separate product. Fedora.next is not this, fedora.next
aims to have 3 main products for different use cases, there is no
reason to have a separate product for every single Spin unless we want
to go backwards again.

--
Robert Mayr
(robyduck)