Retiring mod_auth_xradius

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 09:40:41 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm planning to retire mod_auth_xradius from Fedora.

The module in its source form is really buggy:

- It has been patched to avoid a library bundling.
- Some patches have been added to restore some basic functionality that was
not otherwise working.
- Upstream asked me to update and file bugs but nothing happened and it's
effectively dead (last update in 2006!).
- Does not work with Apache 2.4.

Mantaining it would effectively mean forking it, so unless someone is
willing to step in as a mantainer also for a new "upstream" I'm going to
retire it.

Considering that Fedora ships Apache 2.4 in all recent releases and the
module does not work with it, my guess is there is no userbase for it at
all.

Having said that, the module works fine in EPEL 5/6 with Apache 2.2 (I use
it in production) and I have no plan to retire it from these branches.

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/