f20, anaconda, net install and video out of range ....

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Feb 3 18:52:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014, Adam Jackson wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-02-02 at 22:02 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
>
>> ftp://ftp.nohats.ca/Xorg.0.log
>
> [    54.323] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 2048 kB
> [    54.323] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: Cirrus Logic GD-5480 VGA
> [    54.324] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.32
>
> Your friend has an actual Cirrus Logic card.  Fortunately, it's not
> contagious, and it can be cured.
>
> You're getting the vesa driver loaded because we don't install cirrus by
> default anymore (since the most common Cirrus card by far is the
> emulated one in qemu, which we have a kernel driver for).  You might
> fare better with xorg-x11-drv-cirrus installed to avoid VBIOS bugs.

Why would anaconda not load the driver when it sees the physical card?
Why would it not install xorg-x11-drv-cirrus when it sees the physical
card? Can it not detect the difference between the virtual and real
card? Should I file a proper bug for this, or do you really deem this
unsolvable?

> However, with only 2M of VRAM, you're not going to have room for any
> standard resolution bigger than 1024x768 at 16bpp; 1366x768 is just a
> hair over 2M.  I suggest donating the thing to your local industrial
> waste disposal and installing a video card instead.

While I appreciate the sentiment, the VGA is not _that_ important to a
server. However, having the installer end up in non-working screen is
really a bug that should be fixed :/ Especially with the 'firstboot'
stuff waiting in that graphical screen.

We would have been happy with a working 800x600.

We ended up getting vnc to work to get beyond the firstboot part.
Although getting teh vnc server to work involved hacking non-user
servicable parts like copying vncserver at XXX:YYY files with systemd,
generating non-system vnc passwords and editing $USER variables in
scripts. But that's a separate bug I will file. That process should
really be simplified with a commandline command to enable a gdm
based login prompt when using vnc.

Anyway, thanks for the response. At least now we know more about this
bug and why it happened to us.

Paul