Packaging question about -Wformat-security on Rawhide

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Tue Feb 4 04:16:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 19:42 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I'm not sure why the default -Wall is being
> dropped from that line (it is on other tests).

It's explicitly dropped on configure.ac:1265

	dnl We enable -Wall later.
	dnl If it's set after the warning CFLAGS in the compiler invocation, it
counteracts the -Wno... flags.
	dnl This leads to warnings we don't want.
	CFLAGS=`echo $CFLAGS |$sedpath 's/-Wall//'`

Second-guessing the user's choice of compiler warnings is certainly
"unconventional."

Anyway, this from the build log looks bad too; hope it's the same issue:

checking EXTERN.h usability... no
checking EXTERN.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h:     check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: EXTERN.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to devel at pidgin.im ##
checking for EXTERN.h... no